Latest News

What do employees want most? Data says transparency in pay, job security & career pathways

Written on Mar 10, 2023

Findings from Beamery’s latest Talent Index reveal that while nearly two-thirds (64%) of U.S. employees are content in their current roles, a lack of salary increases (29%), poor management (26%), and disorganized businesses (22%) are all top reasons why people want to leave — something nearly half (48%) of employees plan to do this year. 

If or when they move on, they say transparency will play a major role in determining where they land. 

More than one-third (34%) of the 2,501 office workers who responded to the survey in late 2022 and early 2023 indicated that knowing salary ranges is essential when pursuing a new role; if they are not provided in a job listing, those respondents won’t apply. 

In fact, the majority (52%) of respondents state they are more likely to apply at a company that discloses salary bands. More than one-quarter (26%) say that while their current organization does share salary bands, the ranges are large and not clear — leaving confusion around the potential for individual growth. 

“The uncertain market has the workforce fraught with anxiety and decreased motivation, which is fueling a cycle of employee engagement and retention concerns,” Abakar Saidov, Beamery’s co-founder and chief executive officer said in a statement. “In a rapidly changing environment, clear guidance around employee development, agile career pathing, and business health is an important first step to building employee trust.” 

Additional highlights: 

  • More than one-third (36%) of employees are concerned about layoffs, with 32% citing those concerns as making them more likely to start looking for a new job. Nearly a quarter (24%) of respondents also report that limited transparency from management increases layoff anxiety. On the other hand, 76% of employees are confident they can find a new job in the current landscape. 

  • A quarter of employees concerned about layoffs admit they lack motivation, yet 21% have been inspired enough to pursue new training and upskill. Employers can work to quell employee fears and leverage this interest in development by providing them the tools they need to achieve their career goals, Beamery officials note. 

  • More than one-third (37%) of respondents feel pressure to work from their company’s office, while half of all respondents report they actually are required to work in their office daily. Only 8% indicated they are encouraged to work wherever they please. This contradicts employee desires, though, with more than a quarter (26%) of employees listing flexible or remote working options as one of the top four most important factors in choosing to apply for a job.